Sunday, December 9, 2012

"Rethinking Education in the Age of Technology" Chapter 1

"The work has changed from hands-on to inferential, or from concrete to abstract." pg 5

There are so many more white-collar jobs today that I would have to agree with this quote. Computers and technology have expanded the work of humans into an abstract universe that exists electronically, thus making aspects of our lives less and less tangible. This applies to even how we turn in assignments; I turn in and complete most of my assignments online.

"...in many homes children lead the way, showing their parents how to use computers for gaming, research, and networking." pg 6

This statement can often be true and makes me wonder how much teaching basic technological skills will decline in the future. I imagine there will be less and less time focused on teaching students on how to use the computer, and more time on teaching them how to use what is on the computer. I also wonder if this will continue; will my students know more about what is on computers of the future then me?

"Technology makes life more difficult for teachers." pg 6

I am confused why this is a sentence in this book. I know the book also provides the skeptics point of view, but this sentence received little explanation for its full reasoning. There are a few teachers whom technology is more difficult for, but as teachers we are supposed to to accept the concept of learning, even if that means new technology. Why "teach" if you don't want to "learn?"

No comments:

Post a Comment