Monday, October 29, 2012

Rethinking Education ch. 1-2 response

I think this book has made some very interesting points from what I have read so far. An interesting quote I have pulled from the book is "Enthusiasts argue that trying to prepare students for the 21st century with 19th-century technology is like teaching people to fly a rocket ship by having them ride bicycles." I find this to be a pretty extreme statement; the book argues things such as books, chalkboards, and paper and pencils are obsolete technology for the classroom. It's ironic that I read that books are obsolete from a book. However, I do partially agree with the quote. I think part of the reason schools are so stuck in the past is because of funding. It costs a lot of money to adopt today's technology in every classroom, so it is difficult to eliminate such primitive technology such as a chalkboard. However, it does work to use a chalkboard, a lot of teaching comes from within and not the tools you use. I believe there is both sides to the argument, but regardless, it is always best to have the latest technology in your classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment