Sunday, September 23, 2012

Ch 4-5 Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts Response

Right off the bat I was interested in what this reading had to say. The entire time I was in school I was told not to use Wikipedia because "anyone can edit it." Why is this a bad thing? The internet has changed learning and society forever due to the fact that everyone within the intellectual world now has access to one another. I can learn about things more accurately then I could ever before because of websites like Wikipedia. The more authors there are who can access and edit important articles such as neurology the better. Who should we trust more, a handful of authors of an encyclopedia that becomes outdated as soon as it is off the press, or every possible expert that can edit Wikipedia and make changes as soon as it is outdated? On top of that, as long as you have access to internet Wikipedia is free.
I have never really thought about my stance on websites like Wikipedia until now. As a future teacher, I will boldly push to utilize websites such as Wikipedia. Of course, like every source on every subject, there is a possibility of the source being flawed, so I will make sure to teach my students that before I allow them to use Wikipedia. As a future 4th, 5th or 6th grade teacher, it is also likely that I will be closely monitoring any sources my students use, and I will make it a slim likelihood for there to be a piece of information that will be misrepresented.

No comments:

Post a Comment